Friday, September 13, 2013

Spin the wheel of conflict


For Chuck's "spin the wheel of conflict."This story happens during chapter three of Paradox. This will end up being in the story due out in the spring of 2014. Since Paradox won’t be out until October or November, I’ll link to the FFCs it was based on.


Chapter 8 – A bridge to nowhere

I revved the engine of Adam’s Red Mustang. It was now or never. I would run him down at full speed, if the impact of the car didn’t kill him, everything going over the railing and into the river would finish him off. I glanced down and patted the gleaming golden sphere in my purse. I could see my reflection in its shiny surface. I wondered if all this mayhem for such a trivial device was necessary.

"Ya see, Tony, this is what happens when you go against the brotherhood." I could only make out a word or two, but I knew what was being said. I knew Tony was the accountant, Carlos was the enforcer and Adam would soon be James.

“Keep walking, rat!” Tone hissed.

Keeping the many names and faces straight was troublesome, but writing anything down might’ve put the whole endeavor at risk. No one could know who Adam became. James appeared to enjoy bullying the accountant.


Damn it! I’m too late. James unlocked the padlock joining the chains wrapped around the accountant. James was obviously now controlled by Adam. I had missed my chance. In a few seconds, he and Carlos would go over the side.

“Like hell you are. You’re gonna join him.” They quickly became entangled while grappling with each other. Adam looked down the bridge just before they went over. It was happening just as it had the last time. It was funny how Adam was so desperate to save these people. I met his eyes and shook my head.
After they went over the side, Tony shuffled over to the railing and looked down. I drove up behind him slowly and rolled down the passenger window.

“They’re both dead!” I shouted.

Tony looked back, “I guess I should get outta here then.”

“Not gonna get very far without transportation.”

“Whaddya mean?”

“Carlos had the car keys. Get in, I’ll give you a ride.”

Tony looked at me and appeared to size me up. “You don’t seem shocked by the situation. Who are you?”

“It doesn’t matter, I’ve witnessed this sort of thing thousands of times. It’ll all be over soon. You want a ride or not?”

Tony shrugged and got into the car. I smiled and leaned over to him, “Better buckle up, it’s gonna be a hell of a ride.”

I put the car in gear and stomped on the accelerator. I could see flashing lights in the distance in my rearview. I’ve never stayed long enough to see the aftermath of one of Adam’s “rescues,” and I wasn’t about to start so close to the end.

I guess I could kill Adam before he gets on the Airplane.

***

“Do you Evelyn take Adam to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?”

“I do!”

The priest turned to Adam and nodded. Adam pulled the ring out of his uniform pocket. The man had been in combat and his men looked up to him – he was the cool in any situation, but now his hands were shaking.

“With this ring, I thee wed.”

It took him two tries to get the ring on my finger. I repeated his words with my own ring. The priest performed the last part of the ceremony.

“By the power vested in me by the state of New York, I now pronounce you husband and wife.”

Adam just stared at me. He knows what’s next, what is he waiting for?

The priest cleared his throat, “Lieutenant?”

Adam blinked and turned to him.

“Kiss her already!”

A low laugh echoed throughout the building. He smiled sheepishly and stepped closer. Our first kiss as husband and wife!

Our friends and family cheered and clapped. I knew I would love this man for the rest of my life.

***

I watched Tony jog up the steps to his brownstone. The doorman nodded and held the door open for him. I could see into the building and a woman ran up to him and hugged him tightly. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she kissed him. The door closed, and I could no longer see their tearful reunion.

I reached into my purse and held the device with both hands. I saw the bus in my side view mirror. When it was a car length away I opened the door and stepped directly into its path.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your stories are coming along nicely! I'm impressed at how many you've manage to work into Chuck's prompts.

    ReplyDelete